Marketing Tip of the Week

A few days ago, I was reading my alma mater's (University of Nevada Las Vegas) alumni magazine, and just like every month, I looked under the "class notes" section to see what my fellow graduates (the ones I am not in touch with) were up to. It's always great to read about other alumni's careers and lives after graduation. As a two-time alumna of UNLV (B.S., 1998 and M.B.A., 2001) and lifetime member of the alumni organization, I had, however, never submitted information on my own career to be included in the magazine. Today, I changed that.

In my class notes submission, I announced my recent decision to join my twin sister full-time in our translation business and gave some background on my previous work experience running a Spanish-language travel website in corporate America. The inclusion in the alumni magazines is free at UNLV, and surely other universities have a similar set-up. I think it's a fantastic way to communicate what you are doing to professionals in your area, and could also prove to be a valuable marketing and advertising tool: after all, running a small business is all about referrals. My thinking is that even if I do not get any business from my listing, perhaps I will have the chance to reconnect with long-lost friends and colleagues. Check into your university's alumni magazine!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this is a great tip. I had a profile listed in the "Where are they now?" section of my university alumni magazine when I first set up my translation business in 2006. Not only did I hear from a university friend that I had lost touch with, I was also approached by another alumni who was looking for a translator. Her company is now one of my regular clients...

Unknown on January 9, 2009 at 8:21 AM said...

It seems as if a lot of translators are working the alumni network these days, and I have to admit that it's a great marketing angle that I had never thought of! Good work on the listing!

Join the conversation! Commenting is a great way to become part of the translation and interpretation community. Your comments don’t have to be overly academic to get published. We usually publish all comments that aren't spam, self-promotional or offensive to others. Agreeing or not agreeing with the issue at hand and stating why is a good way to start. Social media is all about interaction, so don’t limit yourself to reading and start commenting! We very much look forward to your comments and insight. Let's learn from each other and continue these important conversations.

Subscribe by email:

 

Twitter update


Site Info

The entrepreneurial linguists and translating twins blog about the business of translation from Las Vegas and Vienna.

Translation Times